Solution for Windows cannot check for updates
Windows OS is the best GUI based operating system in the world. It is a perfect platform for all types of users whether personal or commercial. Therefore, Microsoft on its part tries to keep providing its clients with numerous updates some essential other not so much. It just sometimes becomes useless bulk load for the system. Creating a new type of problem – Windows cannot check for updates; the Windows Updater cannot check for Updates.
This Windows cannot check for Updates error occurs when the “Software Distribution” folder gets damaged due to corruption or fragmentation. Displaying this specific message –
“Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer”.
- Old updates keep coming as new ones.
- Unable to download Windows Updates.
- Download gets interrupted midway.
- Screen freezes every time Update Tab opens.
- The problem arises due to download of the updates which results in your outdated system being hampered while pairing with other devices.
1)To start the Windows Update service, follow these steps.
- On the Start screen, type cmd. alternatively, swipe in from the right, tap or click Search, and then type c.
- Tap or click cmd in the search results.
- At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:
i) net start bits
ii) net start wuauserv
2) Step 1: Stop Windows Update Service.
- Open Windows Services control panel: To do that:
- Press “Windows” + “R” keys.
- In the Search box, type: services.msc & click OK.
(Accept any UAC prompt that appears).
• In Services control panel (at the right pane) find the Windows Update Service.
• Right-click on Windows Update service and select “Stop”.
Step 2: Delete “SoftwareDistribution” folder.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows\ folder.
- Find and Delete (or Rename) the “SoftwareDistribution” folder.
Step 3: Start Windows Update Service.
- Now go back to Windows Services control panel:
- Right-click on Windows Update service and select “Start”.
You could try using Microsoft Fix It tool or Windows Update Troubleshooter which you could download from their official site if it doesn’t help you with Windows cannot check for updates. Then alternatively try using Advanced System Repair tool for Windows cannot check for updates. Some of its features include – detection of problem in hardware, software and security. It tells you how often certain software on your system crashes so as to be able to decide on removing or cleaning.